You need access to the server running ownCloud in order to install the E2EE app.
- ownCloud 10 Installation with following optional apps installed:
To enable/install these go to:
You will find the guest app unter "Collaboration"
And the activity app can be found under "tools"
The Trashbin (files_trashbin) and Versioning (files_versions) apps do not work with e2ee files. Unencrypted files are still supported.
You can find the newest E2ee release in the market place:
Download the latest e2eeshare version from https://oc3.oem-cloud.com/index.php/s/K7kl1JpPGfLyXna
If you have ownCloud enterprise you can use the marketplace to install the current version of e2ee-share.
- Find you apps folder within your ownCloud installation (Linux: /var/www/oc/apps )
Unzip the e2eeShare package into this folder:
Verify that the zip is successfully extracted:
- Login to ownCloud as the admin user. You might be asked for an upgrade, if the E2EE app was installed before.
Open the Admin Settings and visit thesection. Enter your license key in the provided text area:
For trial purposes e2ee includes a valid license for localhost. If you want to try it out on a real environment you can request a demo license by providing your owncloud url (before the index.php)
Select, which key storages will be available for your users. You may provide different settings for ownCloud and guest users.
If you provide more than one key storage options, users have to set up their key storage in their personal settings prior to being able to read and save encrypted files. This must be communicated in advance to avoid any confusion.
- By default all users are enabled to use the E2ee app. If you want to restrict usage to specific groups only, you may set them in the Authorized Groups section. If you provide one or more groups here, only members of those groups may set a folder as E2ee encrypted. Click the apply button, when you are done.
- If you have the Guests app installed, make sure e2eeshare is added to the app whitelist. The Guests app is found in the
I got a valid license, but when installing it, I still get a message that the system is unlicensed.
This usually happens, when you did not specify correct URL(s) for your license keys. Make sure to send us the exact URL(s) the system will be visible from (i.e. https://example.com/owncloud) -> basically everything before index.php. If you plan to use different URLs for the same installation make sure to send us all of them.
Are there any file size limitations?
Short Answer: no
Long Answer: It depends on your browser, operating system and available RAM. Since the en-/decryption takes place in your browser the file needs to fit within the available memory. Depending on you configuration it should not be a problem sharing files > 2GB although the additional en-/decryption process might require you to wait for quire some time.
How long do you have to wait to have a file de-/encrypted?
De-/Encryption times for small files (<20MB) are barely noticeable on modern systems or even mobile devices. The larger the file gets the more noticeable is the wait after downloading (or before upload starts) - always depending on your hardware.